Recruit and Retain: The Future of Education

Teacher Certification in Vermont

Vermont sets requirements for teachers at the generally accepted national level. Teachers must hold degrees at the bachelor’s level or higher and complete discipline-specific training. Vermont teachers have endorsements which indicate the grade level and teaching field. It will, in many cases, be relatively easy for an out-of-state applicant to achieve Vermont credentialing.

Vermont Teaching Endorsements

There are many different types of program, corresponding to endorsement area. Many teachers are elementary generalists. Vermont elementary school teachers are endorsed for grades through 6. This endorsement may be extended through 8th grade to authorize middle grade teaching at a K-8 (or PK-8) school.

English, math, and social studies endorsements are issued for grades up to 12. There are multiple science endorsements available at the secondary level.

Middle grade endorsements (5-9) are issued in four areas: language arts, math, science, and social studies. Educators who pursue these endorsements meet a general set of standards as well as a set of standards specific to content area(s). Middle school organization and philosophy and early adolescent development are among the competencies.

Many specialized endorsements are issued in elementary, middle/ secondary, or PK-12 grade bands. Ssome subjects may be issued at any of multiple levels, depending on educational experiences; examples include art and health. The lower grade may include grades through 6 or through 8; this depends on the teaching area. The higher grade, meanwhile, may begin at grade 5 or grade 7. Some specialized subjects are recognized only at the higher grade levels; an example is design and technology.

Vermont rule lists knowledge and performance standards for the various endorsements ( This information is subject to periodic revision.

There are provisions for adding instructional areas and expanding grade level.

The Traditional Pathway to Vermont Licensure

The traditional route to teacher licensure is to complete a state-approved or CAEP-accredited educator preparation program. The program may be approved in Vermont or another state. The graduate is to secure documentation from the program that he or she has met licensure requirements in the state where the program is located and approved. There are four states that Vermont does not have reciprocity with: New Mexico, New York, South Dakota and Wisconsin. An individual who applied from one of those states would need to go through a credential review process.

Vermont educator preparation programs include at least 13 weeks of student teaching. Vermont defines student teaching broadly to include graduate level internship but sets some standards that apply to both traditional and nontraditional programs. Student teachers are to progressively take on more responsibility in the classroom.

The student teaching experience builds on at least 60 hours of prior practicum. Some PK-12 endorsements depend on having practicum experience in multiple grade bands.

Vermont’s Alternate Pathway

Vermont's alternate route to licensure is peer review. It involves portfolio completion. a bachelor's degree is a foundational requirement. A professional who plans to utilize this pathway will complete subject area assessments before applying. The Vermont agency of Education has provided resources, including a peer review handbook (

Educators who do not hold current out-of-state licenses and cannot present a program recommendation may contact the regulatory authority about having their credentials reviewed. Information about different pathways is available online (

The Assessment Process

Vermont utilizes Praxis examinations. A prospective teacher will take the Praxis Core unless he or she qualifies for exemption based on SAT, ACT, or GRE scores. A teacher who already holds licensing in a state that is party to the NASDTEC agreement can be exempted from the general academic testing requirement.

Praxis assessments are computer-delivered. American Sign Language is an exception.

A teacher can achieve a secondary science endorsement by passing the Praxis science assessment and one additional discipline-specific assessment, whether chemistry, biology, physics, or Earth science. A teacher can earn a limited endorsement by passing just one discipline-specific science assessment.

Candidates seeking endorsement in world languages for which there is no Praxis subject assessment will test through the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.

The Vermont Agency of Education has provided a summary of testing requirements ( ETS is another resource (

Teachers who are licensed in NASDTEC states are exempted from testing requirements. This is also the case with otherwise qualified teaching professionals who hold National Board certification.

Career Technical Education

Vermont, like many states, has a separate set of requirements for technical and vocational fields. Professionals who are experienced in their respective fields may seek apprentice licensure.

Provisional and Emergency Credentials

Provisional and emergency licenses can be issued at district request. Provisional licenses carry higher requirements and are issued for a longer time period. Provisional licensees have plans in place for achieving full licensure or endorsement.

The Application Process

Vermont has an online license application. Transcripts can be uploaded into the system. Some steps must be carried out separately. A fingerprint-based criminal background is among the requirements. Applicants will take the initial steps at the time they submit their application. They will pay a small fee and receive an authorization letter to take to a police station or identification center. Applicants should be aware that the timeframe is highly variable; it can take as long as 12 weeks for results to be received. The Vermont Agency of Education has provided instructions for out-of-state applicants about how to have their fingerprints captured and submitted by an outside agency (

Additional Information

Vermont teachers are licensed by the Vermont Agency of Education ( The Licensing Help Line can be reached at (802) 479-1700 or by email at ‘aoe.edinfo at’ . The Vermont Education Agency has provided some tutorials in video format (

Regulatory changes are not uncommon. There were revisions to Vermont endorsement rule in 2018.